2017 South Korea Global Money Week
- BAIKYANG elementary school
- HAANBUK elementary school
NUMBER OF CHILDREN REACHED DIRECTLY:
NUMBER OF PEOPLE REACHED INDIRECTLY:
The Korea Securities Depository (KSD) celebrated Global Money Week again this year by focusing on 2 child centers in Seoul. The KSD has partnered with BAIKYANG and HAANBUK Elementary Schools in order to promote child financial awareness and help children learn the value of savings.
This was accomplished by organizing sessions with 10 teachers, who taught and held classroom sessions, workshops, and games with 143 children about how to manage their pocket money, informed them about financial institutions, and created a fun environment for children to learn about financial concepts.
The KSD has supported the teachers by providing them training and materials that could be easily understood by children. The children have also been given the opportunity to visit the Korea Securities Depository Museum, which provided children with the opportunity to learn more about the history of money, as well as to interact with games and visuals that taught them about finance.
2016 South Korea Money Week
- Kidsky Childcare center
- Eruda School
DATE OF THE EVENT:
- 14th - 21st of March
TOTAL NUMBER OF CHILDREN AND YOUTH ENGAGED:
The Korea Securities Depository took the lead in celebrating GMW2016 in the country this year. The Korea Securities Depository partnered with the Haneul Child Care Centers and the Lrada School in Goyang to reach children for their celebrations throughout the Week.
As part of their GMW celebrations, the Korea Securities Depository organized multiple visits for kids to the country's Currency and Securities Museum for them to learn more about the history of the currency of Korea and its importance for them as young people. After the museum visits, the Korea Securities Depository provided their young visitors with classroom sessions on financial education to encourage smart saving behavior.
Two batches were hosted by the KSD to facilitate this:
- (Kidsky Childcare center): After looking around the museum, children were educated about wise money-spending habits and the presented with the creation of an expense note. This was further facilitated by a board game that KSD foundation has created
- (Eruda School): After looking around the museum, children were educated on how to cultivate wise consumption habits and introduced to the concept of saving through price comparison exercises.
2014 South Korea Money Week
DATE OF THE EVENT:
- 14th - 15th of March
NUMBER OF CHILDREN REACHED:
Financial Quotient Council (FQC) organized 2 great events focusing on financial education of children and youth:
- FQC trained 40 staff members from a local bank to become financial instructors. These new instructors then visited primary, middle, and high schools in rural areas and taught students lessons on financial education and financial inclusion. The students were all from financially vulnerable families from rural and non-urban areas.
- FQC also organized an experiential finance class for primary school children from the 3rd to 4th grade. Parents of the students also took part in the class. The class focused on topics such as ‘how to manage an allowance’, ‘plan a financial design according to the stages of your life’ and more. The children were then encouraged to put their lessons into practice by playing in a simulated environment called a ‘Financial Village’.